Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Forgotten EP rights...

I forgot to post about publication rights and my thoughts on one of them - - there are many and I find them, though simple in their nature, to be convoluted - - of course, they need to be in place to protect the different parties involved.

The Work for Hire & All Rights areas make me nervous and uncomfortable. I feel like they shouldn't exist. The others appear to be self explanatory - One-Time Rights seem pretty conscious of the writer, and the Reprint Rights allow the publisher to also print as many times as they like - -it both instances, the writer can also print as many times as he/she likes.

Regional/Geographic seem to be in the same arena as far as where you are published.
But I don't think this applies as well in Electronic publishing, since it is the mighty world-wide web.

Exclusive & Non-exclusive appear to involve time mainly and also who you are giving rights to -

Perpetual & Archive are similar, but Archive Rights do not follow the addition of making the archived documents viewable/exhibited for view as opposed to just being hifden in an archive somewhere.

Anthology, Excerpt & Translation rights all seem more on the periphery of these other rights, because they involve the work itself much more intimately, as opposed to the relationship between writer, publisher & work. So, we're talking more specifically about the work and how it's used.

I know this is just a huge recap of the packet we were given, but this helps me think through each component.

I have done further research using the sites provided in our packet and it appears that a lot of what we have been discussion in class surfaces in dialogs on-line as well - - like ebooks and journals, etc.

As a writer, I am always hesitant about submitting work because of my ignorance of rights and writing. But I am feeling more confident after looking over all of these resources. I feel I am less likely to deal with a publisher who is mean enough to take all of my rights from me, and that I can safely review submission details in ready & knowledgeable agreement .

No comments: